Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Leek Weeks Starts here



My dad and myself had to pull all the leeks as the wet weather made the leeks go to seeds…I personally prefer them young and thin as they are much tender and sweeter than the biggen ones. My mum is freezing most of her share of the leeks but I love them fresh so in the next couple of days, I will be trying a lot of dishes with leeks and you can read all about my week of leeks…

Today for example I made a lovely risotto. Simply heat olive oil in a pan, add the sliced leeks and fry until soft but not brown. Add the risotto rice and coat with the oil and keep frying for a couple of minutes. Add some white wine and - while stirring - cook until the wine has disappeared. Then add hot stock (fresh stock makes for a better risotto) a ladle at a time. Just before the rice is ready, add defrosted peas and some chopped sage…..and et voila…..a perfect risotto which I have to say put a big smile on my face

No comments: