Thursday, June 2, 2011

Puffball anyone???


I am never sure which mushrooms are safe to pick and which aren't. A friend from Germany (an American living in Berlin) sends me dried wild mushrooms every year and I am really lucky that he knows his mushrooms (I save a lot of money as I never have to buy dried mushrooms).

One of the most recognisable mushrooms is the puffball mushroom. It really looks like a puffed up ball. It is white with a spongy but smooth surface. Cut open it looks like a sponge. You need a sharp knife to slice it as it tends to crumble a bit.

Terence found a puffball the other day and brought it over for breakfast. I cubed it and sauteed it in olive oil and butter. Scrambled eggs and freshly baked bread completed a great Saturday breakfast - just yummmmmmm

For more recipes, try Denis Cotter's cookbook 'Wild Garlic, Gooseberries and me' as he covers the puffball nicely.

No comments: