Thursday, September 22, 2011

Beetroot - and the story goes on



Last night was soup night and since I am still covered in beetroot, yes you guessed it, beetroot soup was on the menu. It is easy to make - just like any other soup - but the colour again was amazing. The taste was quite sweet and I thought it needed a lot more seasoning but Terence was quite happy with the pure beetroot taste of the soup.

I boiled a big beetroot (and I mean big) until tender. Chopped it into cubes. Sauteed onions, garlic and celery until translucent and added a cubed potato and the beetroot along with vegetable stock. Brought it to a boil and simmered until the potato almost broke down. Pureed it in a food processor and returned it to a clean pot. Added salt and herbs and served with a dollop of cream. Denis Cotter served his soup with cabbage and vodka (don't like cabbage apart from red and used all my vodka for my blackcurrants). The result was a sweet and earthy soup that was perfect for the windy and wet evening we had last night - sat in front of fire and slurped happily.

We still have some beetroot left, so will have to find some more ideas and recipes. Any ideas?? Let me know.

No comments: