Friday, September 12, 2008

Cornstore Restaurant

When I came back from Waterford last Sunday, I was starving, so decided to pay the Cornstore a visit. Anita has been there already and she was delighted with the food.
I remember the restaurant way back when it was the Coal Quay and I wasn't really looking forward to it. But was a transformation. The restaurant has been completely refurbished and by someone with taste. The interior is mostly brown but far from boring. The staff wears brown shirts and long aprons and that is a nice change to the usual black and white 'uniform'. The staff is attentive without being in your face and very polite and friendly.
I ordered pasta penne with goats' cheese and spinach. The cheese was too mature and killed the lovely sauce which would have been spicy enough if the cheese would have overpowered it. I had a lovely Malbec - which I only finished after the dessert....cause cheese was even overpowering the wine.....
Steve went for rhubarb crumble which was served in a little copper pan and I had vanilla panacotta with summer berries. Both lovely desserts - comfort food that put a smile on my face.
When I asked if the menu was available online (which it isn't), the waiter went and copied the menu for me....this restaurant will see me again - that's for sure.

No comments: