Wednesday, February 11, 2009

City Gardeners - you are called


Richard Corrigan and RTE are planning a new TV series about allotments in Cork City, Blackpool and Mahon. So, if you have an allotment, garden and you grow your own or would like to, write to 'Corrigan's City Farm, RTE, Fr Matthew Street, Cork' or email to corrigan@rte.ie or click here for an application form.

The project will show people that they can become self-sufficient by growing their own fruit and vegetables as well as killing their own pigs and chickens for their dinner table (my dad is doing that for years - although we haven't got any pigs yet but we eat our own chickens, ducks, geese and rabbits). In the recession times we are in, it hopefully will bring people back to basics. My grandparents all had their allotments and I remember that the tomatoes were a revelation.....compared to what supermarkets sell us these days.

Let me know if you are going to apply and what you have grown so far.....I think it is more of a challenge if you live in a city where space is limited and people tend to be busier than in the countryside....but I love the idea of it and can't wait.

No comments: