Thursday, October 20, 2011

Curry Night and all about Leeks

Nights are getting colder and darker. This is the time where you want hearty and warming dishes. Butternut Squash are dead cheap at the moment so I decided it was time for a lovely curry night last night. Came home and dug up some leeks (yes I was wearing my wellies :-). Peeled and chopped (not too small pieces) the Butternut Squash I bought during the day, tossed it in olive oil and roasted it in the oven for about 10 mins (you want it slightly done but still have some bite). Cleaned and sliced the leeks quite thickly and pan-fried it in a bit of butter and olive oil (use ghee if you happen to have it in your larder). Chopped some green chillies - depending how hot you want it - and added it to the leeks after about 5 mins. Cook it for a minute or so before adding some roasted cashew nuts, plain yogurt (make sure not to use set yogurt as it will split) and cream. Adding the roasted Butternut Squash, I put a lid on the pot and put the pot in the oven for about 30 mins. The sauce will thicken a bit. I served this curry with spiced rice and naan bread. This curry is loosely based on a recipe I saw in Denis Cotter's Season Cookbook.

The curry needs some 'green' so add some fresh coriander if you have it to hand - parsley will do as well. And if you want to push the boat out, serve some side dishes with it like a tomato salad etc.

The curry was tasty but needed some salt to bring it up - I didn't add the coriander as it is one of my pet hates. We had a Rioja with it but I think a Gewurztraminer would have been a better choice.

No comments: