Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Prawns loved the Curry

I had some lovely king prawns and they screamed to me that they wanted to be turned into a yummy curry. And just by chance did I have the Atul Kochhar cookbook laying around. So I flipped through it again and came across the ‘Royyalu Pulusu’ (simply Prawn Curry I assume ;-). I had to adjust the recipe a bit as I didn’t have fresh coconut (not even dried one), I run out of sesame oil a couple of weeks ago and never stocked up. Haven’t found any Mango Powder (although I came across a few recipes now with it but couldn’t find it anywhere) and I didn’t have curry leaves (only Kaffir lime leaves)…but the result was yummy nevertheless.

The prawns needed to be marinated in a dry rub consisting of turmeric, chilli powder and salt (the mango powder should have found its way into the rub as well). Rubbed the spices into the prawns and left them to marinate for 20 minutes.

I heated groundnut oil instead of the sesame oil and sautéed chopped onions. Added ginger and garlic paste and after a few minutes threw in ground coriander, green chilli, crushed peppercorns and mint (just bought a lovely plant on Friday)….missing out on the coconut and curry leaves. After a few more minutes I added the prawns, poured in coconut milk and let it simmer for 5 minutes. A few chopped fresh tomatoes for good measure followed but I didn’t add any water as advised in the recipe as I like my sauces creamy. Let the whole lot simmer for a few more minutes until the prawns were cooked and served the whole lot with vegetable pilau and red lentil dhal which I had left over from Sunday. A quick yummy meal that was full of flavour and left a big smile on my face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM, YUM

Martin from Berlin :-)