Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Year in my Kitchen Garden

... this is a new series I am starting to show you the changes in our garden throughout the year. My dad grew up on a farm in UK and learned everything he knows about growing anything from his dad and working the farm in his spare time. He is the happiest when he is outdoors and shoveling through the compost.

Just yesterday, he picked the last of our leeks and the field is now completely empty. After Dad rotivated the earth he has thrown lime on the ground to manipulate the acidity of the earth. He waited a couple of days and added horse manure to the ground. He normally rotivates the ground 3 -4 times before he is satisfied that the field is properly prepared. He got a little machine to help with the rotivating but it is still hard manual labour.

He also cut the raspberries down and added manure around the roots. The strawberries are convered in wood chipping to protect them from frost.

The chickens are waking up from their hibernation (just kidding but they are stopping laying in the cold months) and I can start my baking again. The ducks are still happy out - the temperature doesn't seem to bother them at all. Dad has only 2 rabbits left and I think they will find their way into his pot pretty soon (was actullay thinking of making rabbit terrine for the next wine tasting :-)

By the way, if you have any questions regarding your garden (relating to vegetables), send me a comment and I will pass it on to 'Farmer John'.

2 comments:

Farmgirl Susan said...

Hello! I just discovered your blog and am looking forward to reading more about your garden in the coming months. Happy New Year! : )

Elke said...

Hi Susan,

Happy New Year. And keep watching this space :-)

Elke