Friday, February 6, 2009

Number One in Edinburgh

I was lucky enough to stay in The Balmoral in Edinburgh last week and of course I had to pay Number One a visit. Expectations were high as they were able to maintain their Michelin Star for the last few years with Executive Chef, Jeff Bland providing innovative cuisine with Scottish and French flavours alongside Head Chef Craig Sandle. The restaurant is located half underground and that gives the restaurant a feel of remoteness which I liked. The tables are round with half round sofas - spacious enough to have room to eat but close enough to be able to talk - and with 3 girls....there was a lot to talk about. We started with Billecart Salmon Brut Rose to get us in the mood for the evening.

with our Champagne we got a plate of amuse bouches and they were little pieces of art (sorry, forgot the camera). When I mentioned to one of the girls that she could have mine, the waitress who overheard me brought me a vegetarian version straight away....and my journey into food heaven began.

I didn't go for the Chef's tasting menu as most if the dishes were meat based (but trust me, this was one of these moments were I wished I could eat meat - it looked amazing). For a starter I had Celeriac Panna Cotta with Greek vegetables - soft and 'wobbly' as a Panna Cotta should be. We were served another amuse bouche between the course which consisted of mini vegetables with pickled beetroot - (I think I am going to marry the chef). The main was Roquefort Cheese Risotto with root vegetables and herb salad....just one word .....hmmmmmmmmmyuuuummmm. The crowing end of the meal was a poached rhubarb cheese cake with rhubarb sorbet.....I was so immerged into my food that I forgot to check what Elaine and Waltraud had but since they had the same silly happy look on their faces as me I simply assume it was 'good'. The Amarone Della Valpolicella Alpha Zeta helped of course to make the happiest woman on the planet that night.

No comments: